Saturday, 6 July 2013

DJ Dextrous & H Pee - Hot Flame


DJ Dextrous & H Pee - Hot Flame (Subversive Recordings, 1995)

Jungle is just perfect for hot summer days, custom made for blasting from your car stereo or as an accompaniment to a barbecue with family and friends. This cut from DJ Dextrous and H Pee is particularly appropriate thanks to its ragga vocal from Dirtsman's 'Hot Dis Year':

"Unno get me hot this year, weh dem a do fi hold me (yah hear me)
Unno get me wicked this year, not even water can cold me (lord a mercy)
Unno a get me hot, get me hot, get me wicked, wicked..."

The track starts with a lush synth chord progression before adding the Think break and a breathy, sensual vocal sampled from Janet Jackson's 'That's The Way Love Goes': "Like a moth to the flame, burned by the fire. My love is blind, can't you see my desire?". The drop brings in Dirtsman along with a "Lighter Crew" vocal over an 808 kick bassline and Think/Sesame Street drums, later adding the synth stabs from the beginning of 'Hot Dis Year'. A bonafide jungle classic, simple but oh so good.

Dextrous & H Pee remixed the track in 1996 with two mixes named after Desnoes & Geddes, the Jamaican brewers of Red Stripe. The Desnoes Remix increases the summery vibes with a sample of Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince's BBQ classic 'Summertime' during the intro. As the UK bathes in the sunshine, open a beer and check it out below or head over to Summertime.fm to grab Jazzy Jeff & Mick Boogie's recently released Summertime Vol. 4 mixtape:


Discogs link

No comments:

Post a Comment