Saturday, 4 May 2013

T.Power - Chasin' A Dream


T.Power - Chasin' A Dream (Blue Narcissus Mix)(SOUR, 1994)

With today being Star Wars Day (May the fourth be with you...) I thought I'd take a look at a track that samples a line from the original film. T.Power is the main drum and bass alias for Marc Royal, a prolific and eclectic producer who has made everything from poppy drum and bass with Shy FX ('Shake Ur Body' being the most obvious example) to abstract breaks as part of Chocolate Weasel on Ninja Tune.

Here he crafts a chilled track that for long sections is at half tempo, with chopped synths, bleeps and dubby bass while timestretched drums zip around until eventually forming into a DnB tempo Think break. At around the half way point the track samples one of my favourite Hans Solo lines in which he explains his lack of belief in "the Force" to Luke:

"I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other, and I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe that there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. There's no mystical energy field controls my destiny."

I actually heard this track before I saw Star Wars, so when I finally did see the film I experienced a deja-vu like moment until I worked out where I knew the line from. A deep track that is perfect for staring up at the night sky and imagining what might be out there.

Discogs link

No comments:

Post a Comment