Monday, 14 January 2013

Bad Company - Snow Cat


Bad Company - Snow Cat (BC Recordings, 2002)

With snow covering the UK this evening I've been trying to think of an appropriate track to write about and this is about the best that I can think of. It came out on Bad Company's final album, 'Shot Down On Safari', which was actually one of the last drum'n'bass releases I ever bought on vinyl, excluding reissues of classic jungle tunes and second hand stuff. The scene was moving away from the styles I preferred and there were fewer and fewer records I was interested in.

Although they'd had the "Clown Step" label thrown at them by this point I still loved Bad Company's productions and 'Snow Cat' is pretty typical of their later output, catchy and well produced but still fairly hard. It centers around a punchy ascending, descending melodic bassline accompanied by distorted 808 kick drum stabs and heavily filtered reese basslines. The drums are constructed from the 'It's A New Day' break with a less prominent 'Tighten Up' break underneath. Although not my favourite on the album it is a quality track which doesn't deserve to be overshadowed by the likes of 'Hornet' and 'Torpedo'.

Discogs link

No comments:

Post a Comment