Saturday, 5 January 2013

Lemon D - Organik Funk (Dillinja Remix)


Lemon D - Organik Funk (Dillinja Remix) (Valve, 2000)

This may not be one of Dillinja's best known works (it's the C side on a double 12"), and it's a fairly basic tune, but I've always had a thing for it. I first heard it been spun by Grooverider at one of his Prototype nights at The End sometime in 1999 and I loved it straight away. The intro is beatless and features a funky guitar loop, some synths and a "Yeah, huh" vocal that Dillinja lets ride for a while until it all drops out briefly for a cool spoken word sample saying "Cos I love a good drum sound, a good drum sound if you get that then everything else is easy". This is the cue for a typically loud two step beat to come in with a subtle bassline underneath the guitar loop, occasionally bringing in the synth part and developing the bassline slightly later on. That's all there is to it, but it never fails to put a smile on my face. As far as I'm aware the Lemon D original has never been released but if anyone knows different please let me know, I'd love to hear it.

Discogs link

No comments:

Post a Comment